Our client provides a machine learning based software product to its customers from the biopharmaceutical and healthcare industry for faster identification of patient cohorts based on phenotypes (clinical characteristics and symptoms) from electronic health records (EHRs) and unstructured doctors’ notes. This is critical for detecting patients at risk of diseases, finding genes linked to a phenotype in the context of drug or biomarker discovery, recruiting patients for clinical trials, conducting real world evidence (RWE) studies and matching the right patients with the right drugs. The company’s product has demonstrated that it is able to find the right patient cohorts at 50x speed and 30% higher accuracy when compared to alternative methodologies.
They are based in San Francisco, London and Hong Kong and was founded by serial entrepreneurs who have raised more than £130 million through their work and is advised by leading experts from industry, Imperial College London and Stanford University. Their investors include leading Deep Tech and Life Science funds and serial entrepreneurs who founded several UK and US headquartered unicorns. They are also selected by the UK Government as a leading digital health innovator.
Role Description and Responsibilities
As a Data Engineer, you need to be able to understand product data APIs and client data APIs so as to develop robust data integration, perform data analytics, and ensure their product is compatible with client data environment. Knowledge in databases, data science and AI will be critical.
Key technical responsibilities will include:
- Design, develop and test robust, flexible, efficient and secure product data APIs.
- Design, develop, test and deploy robust, flexible, secure and computationally efficient data integration pipeline (including conversion, pre-processing, loading, post-processing and etc) based on client data APIs (data specification, databases) so that the product is compatible. Such pipeline may require customisation per client requirements.
- Perform remote/local data analytics based on client data samples, product loggings and overall system performance to obtain insights about data and product improvements.
- Clearly communicate product data APIs to the clients, and clearly understand and communicate client requirements and client data specifications to the internal technical team.
- A strong intuition for what makes products a joy to use.
- Empathy for how different users will need different things out of a product at different stages, and how to effectively serve these different needs in one product.
- Strong communication and mediation skills.
- Strong people skills and the ability to engage all levels of the organization (especially the front line).
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English.
- A strong software engineering background to understand how the user facing product will tie into backend and architectural decisions.
- With university qualification (Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate) who have completed at least two years of university study in Computer Science, Informatics, Engineering or related.
- Experience (classroom/work) in databases, different data specifications/models/APIs, data analytics and data science.
- Experience on general programming languages: Python, C++, Java, etc. • Experience with working in Linux.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with deep learning, machine learning and NLP frameworks such as PyTorch (or TensorFlow), HuggingFace Transformer, Scikit-learn.
- Relevant work experience, including internships, full time industry experience or as a researcher in a lab.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform.
This position will be highly visible to senior management within our company and at our customer organisations. Experience and knowledge of developing and deploying AI and Data solutions for drug discovery or clinical trial or real-world evidence-based projects at scale is desirable.
Your application should be in English and include a cover letter highlighting your experiences with IT companies, biopharmaceutical companies, healthcare organisations, and research institutions along with your CV.
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible working hours.
- Hybrid working from office and home.
- Salary depending on experience.
- Benefits include private medical insurance, life insurance and travel cards.
- You would join a small, dedicated and fast-growing team.
- You will have the opportunity to learn about building a startup business from experienced professionals and serial entrepreneurs.
- We are currently supported by serial entrepreneurs and angel investors. You will have the opportunity to experience an investment life cycle for a startup and meet leading venture capitalists.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Their headquarters is in London (UK) with teams in San Francisco (US) and Hong Kong.
This is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.