Full Stack Engineer
Our client believe that the grand scale adoption of single synthetic environments by governments and international institutions will give rise to a powerful capability for global good. New levels of whole force preparedness and the harnessing of previously unattainable foresight will ultimately prevent states from stumbling into war; contributing to a more secure and prosperous world and bringing about the end of unnecessary human conflict. They develop a software platform that enables the creation of these single synthetic environments, with the aim of providing truly full spectrum synthetic training and planning platforms. This will ultimately make defence users more effective when deployed on modern, multi-domain operations and plummet the cost of military preparedness.
Single synthetic environments give decision makers a constantly improving picture on how to best prepare for and prevail in any conflict. Their platform architecture provides the defence industry access to new market opportunities through a synthetic content ecosystem, enabling defence developers to reuse and repurpose existing models and build new models of the real world in a fast, efficient and iterative way.
This team is responsible for the successful delivery of their customer & partner projects. They deliver solutions that are user-focused in order to solve user problems.
They are a team of engineers who work closely with their product and product design functions to build novel solutions to their customer’s problems. They are part of the Customer & Partner Success group and have specific focus areas in UI/UX and in the service layer that interfaces with the simulation platform. Their front-ends enable complex interactions and analytics on top of the simulation platform specifically designed for rapidly evaluating military strategies under uncertain operating conditions. Their solutions are used to visualise faster than real-time simulations that radically improve training, preparation and decision making. They are also used as part of the training process itself. Their service and data layer is a new offering of this team, and is currently being architected. They’re looking for expertise to help shape this.
The primary front-end technologies they currently use are Typescript, React, Redux, and gRPC. The primary back-end and orchestration technologies they use are Node, Go, Python, ArangoDB, Docker and Kubernetes.
● You will contribute to opinions, best practices and technology choices to set them up for delivering the best possible solutions to their customers.
● You will be an engineer for back-end service and data architectures, and front-end web applications, with a slight focus towards the back-end.
● You will work closely with product managers, designers and scientific modellers to help determine and design what they will build.
● Write coherent, logically abstracted and well structured code.
● Collaborate closely and effectively with members of other engineering teams to find the best path to delivering a high quality solution. Additional Responsibilities for a Senior (if applying to this role)
● You will determine the best methods for extracting long-term product value from their customer projects.
● You will be the Solution Delivery lead on customer projects to ensure the technical and delivery success of the project.
● You will help to grow and mentor a team of full stack and front-end engineers. You will help to develop and share knowledge within the team.
● You will help to identify skill gaps in their team and help with assessing and interviewing candidates.
● Experience engineering back-end microservice architectures.
● Experience configuring and deploying database technologies (relational and document-based)
● Experience working on Single Page Web Applications with a modern framework (React, Vue, Angular etc.)
● Node, Python, GoLang, Typescript, React, AQL, gRPC are a plus but are not mandatory.
Opportunities for Growth & Progression
You will have the opportunity to work with a range of engineering and research teams, leveraging new techniques and growing as an engineer. As an early member of the team, it’s expected that you will be able to take on ownership of key aspects of the system.
Role Location - Based in London, UK head office. Some level of flexible working post Covid-19.
Reporting Lines - Reporting to the Engineering Manager of the Solution Delivery team, who in turn is part of the UK engineering organisation reporting to the head of Customer & Partner Success.
Interview Process & Timelines:
1. Call with Talent Team
2. Remote Interview - shared coding exercise and meet with the hiring manager.
3. Onsite interview - mix of practical engineering interviews, design interviews andbehavioural interviews
4. Final Fit interview with VP - focus on motivations, mission alignment