Head of Engineering
Our client is looking for a Head of Engineering to come and lead technology. Think of this as an early-stage tech leadership role - you’ll be wearing multiple hats, including architecting solutions to user pain points, hands-on building the product, building and leading teams, and coaching developers. If you’re motivated by delivering societal impact at scale through the technology you and your team build, and changing how children around the world begin learning the skills that will change their lives, they’d love to meet you.
About our client
Our client is a smart tutoring platform. Their mission is to bring the world’s best teaching experience to children, through technology. They're doing that by building a platform that lets the top 0.1% of teachers build lessons that feel as dynamic and interactive as live tutoring, at 1/20th of the cost.
Developers there are part of the Platform team, building the core technology that enables creators/teachers to create, test, ship, and iterate on lessons, and deliver those lessons lightning fast all around the world. They’ve delivered 12.5 million lessons so far, with >25,000 lessons delivered a day to young learners around the world from Shanghai to Sao Paolo. They grew their recurring revenue 100% last year, and are accelerating that growth as they add new teachers and courses to their platform.
If you’re passionate about building technology that makes a real impact on people at massive scale, and building tools and experiences that transform how young people learn, come and talk to them. They’re backed by some of Europe’s top investors including LocalGlobe and EF, are generating millions of dollars in revenue from their validated first set of courses. Now they are beginning to expand the ambition and scope of the platform you’ll be working on, so there’s plenty of ambitious, greenfield engineering work to dive into from day 1.
Other key information:
● 35 people, with Platform team led by the CEO, who is a ‘product founder’.
● Offices in London, Shenzhen, Taipei and Singapore, and remote friendly (but must be able to get to London for team days, events etc, so within 3-4 hours travel is optimal).
● Unlimited holiday policy - they trust people to work effectively, deliver for the company, and get the R&R they need.
● Culture of freedom & responsibility, and a mission-focused culture. They don’t have loads of policies, budgets, and so on. They operate in a high-trust way and spend their time focusing on the product & customer, not on things that distract from that.
About the role:
● Team/People Leadership
● Delivery Management
● Hands-on code/architecture
● Experience as a team/technical lead or engineering manager.
● Experience with recruiting, hiring and developing a team of developers.
● Experience guiding teams to prioritise tasks with an MVP, iterate-later mindset.
● Experience owning the entire Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
● You love a challenge, are interested in learning new things and comfortable working in changing environments.
What the job involves
● Working with their CEO to identify how tech can help them achieve their strategic goals.
● Managing a high-performing Technology team, including hiring and onboarding new team members.
● You’ll be responsible for the day-day running of the technology team, shaping the culture as well as ensuring efficient delivery & quality processes.
● Working across cross-functional squads, supporting Developers in delivering great products by helping unblock them & improve our processes.
● Representing the technical feasibility for squad work in planning/prioritisation discussions.
● Contributing to our code base and leading architectural discussions & decisions.
Additional info about the role
● To begin with, this will be a hands-on coding/architecture role, helping to establish robust software development and delivery practices in the team. As they scale you’ll play a key part in identifying the roles they need and helping to hire.
● Our mobile app is primarily written with TypeScript in React Native and our backend services run on AWS and AWS China primarily written with Node.JS.
Compensation and benefits
● This is a leadership role with a large early-stage equity stake available. Like the rest of the team, they want you to own a stake in their success. The equity band for this role starts at 70% of salary in equivalent equity value, and increases based on salary and experience.