Lead Data Engineer
Who are they?
Our client is a biotechnology company that predicts stem cell differentiation using live cell microscopy and artificial intelligence. They use this approach to optimise and unlock human tissue manufacturing for research and therapeutics applications.
They are backed by venture capital firms who were the earliest investors in DeepMind, Exscientia, Recursion, Wayve, and Abcam.
What they're looking for
As Lead Data Engineer, you are responsible for automating and scaling data processes across their cell fate prediction work streams and develop new ways of extracting value from their experimental microscopy data platform.
You’ll standardise best practises, democratise access to data and evolve their data infrastructure, working closely with their Machine Learning team (who build, integrate, test and scale their computer vision for cell fate prediction) and Biology team (who design and run their cell biology experiments for microscopy data collection and differentiation protocol development).
What you’ll do in this role
- Provide technical leadership and implement data engineering best practices, including defining the vision and data strategy in collaboration with the leadership team.
- Communicate and drive consensus on this strategy and plan with other teams across the company.
- Develop new ways of visualising and interpreting the large-scale microscopy data generated by their Biology team to accelerate their ability to control stem cell fate during differentiation.
- Collaborate with their Software team to define and build internal applications and data products for their Biology team with a focus on scalable and reproducible workflows. This includes a platform for storing, visualising, and analysing high-resolution microscopy data and tracking all experimental data.
- Collaborate with the Machine Learning team to define and build their internal training, testing, and serving infrastructure.
Their ideal candidate will have
- 5+ years software engineering experience with full lifecycle development from design and inception to production.
- Past experience managing a team of software engineers.
- Knowledge of SQL and NoSQL technology (e.g. Snowflake, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, MongoDB).
- Expertise with cloud infrastructure, distributed systems, pipeline and automation tools.
- Experience with data lakes and related technologies such as Athena, BigQuery or Dremio.
- Expertise in Python and excellent knowledge of Docker, Linux, Bash, Conda, and Git.
- High standards for clear, actionable communication of data-driven processes.
Nice to haves
- Experience in a biotechnology company or a background in biology are not necessary, but intellectual curiosity is a must!
- Experience working on AI-first software products, data platforms, and machine learning infrastructure tools, and bonus if in the context of biotechnology.
What they offer
- Join at the ground level to work at the cutting-edge of artificial intelligence, stem cell biology, empirical experiment automation, and cell therapy development.
- An inclusive, collaborative and intellectually stimulating culture that puts science at the forefront of everything they do.
- A dynamic, diverse, and inclusive team of experienced and interdisciplinary scientists applying their skills to some of the most impactful problems in human health.
- Competitive salary and founding equity compensation.
- Ability to work remotely or in their Bristol (UK) headquarters and join bi-annual week-long company off sites.
The interview process:
- Initial phone screen (30 mins)
- At-home technical test
- Technical interview reviewing the test results and follow-up (90 mins)
- Leadership, Culture & Behaviours Interview (90 mins)
- Meet the Team (onsite including tour 60 mins)