Senior ML Engineer (Contract)
Who They Are
The world's first computer vision unicorn ($1 Billion valued company) for financial services. Their mission is to use the latest breakthroughs in AI to solve real world problems and improve people's lives across the world.
They put a car expert in people's pocket so when you get into an accident, a few photos with your smartphone is all you need to get back to normal faster. This year their AI is also helping families recover faster after their homes have been destroyed by natural disasters. They've accelerated accident recovery for over a million households, and helped recycle about as many cars as Tesla put on the road in 2019.
On top of that, They have a best in class working culture focused around autonomy, collaboration, continuous learning, flexible working and more. In fact, they are a Certified 'Great Place to Work 2021' and rated 5/5 on Glassdoor due to their enjoyable and vibrant working culture and laser sharp focus on employee well-being.
Engineering @ This Company
There’s around 50 of them in the engineering team and they play a key part in bringing their AI to life. They collaborate closely with the Research teams who are responsible for developing our core AI models, they then enable that AI capability to be deployed to real world problems by building out products using modern open-source technologies and best practices.
They work in small product teams consisting of software engineers, machine learning researchers, data scientists and product managers. The way they build their product is by putting together a talented team with all the skills and context it needs to be able to solve real world problems through close collaboration and agile best practices. Their Engineers are very product minded and play an active role in shaping the future direction of the product. They understand the wider business context of developing new features and develop a deep understanding of their customers and the user impact of their product, through close collaboration with the Product Manager of the team.
You will be working out how they can best help millions of people around the world recover faster from an accident. They’re proud to see their product have a massive impact on people daily… and they know this is just the beginning.
Claim Review Ingestion Team - Who they are & What they do
The Claim Review Ingestion Team is an ML-first product team composed of 7 engineers and researchers working towards improving the ability of The Company to ingest semi-structured and unstructured client data from physical and digital documents to help them enter new markets and unlock new opportunities.
The team is responsible for a mix of document analysis, OCR, and NLP products served in a serverless architecture written in Python. These services are responsible for parsing the data shown to customers and The Company's visual AI meaning the team has to work closely with business, product, and other technical teams.
They rely heavily on the following tools and technologies below – but you don't need to have prior experience in all of them;
- Pytorch/Tensorflow model-serving in production
- Python 3.10
- Messaging systems such as Apache Kafka
- AWS for our infrastructure with heavy focus on S3, Lambdas, SageMaker, and EventBridge
What You’ll be doing
As an engineer in the Claim Review Ingestion team, you will work closely with researchers to build and develop our ingestion pipeline;
Daily tasks might include:
- Working with Product and Customer Success teams to deliver new products/product features from conception through to production.
- Being responsible for a squad of Engineers & Researchers working on a delivery
- Deploy research code into production (scale it and make it production ready)
- Generalising our existing pipelines for new use cases
- Working with research teams to identify issues in scaling our product that require their expertise
What they are looking for…
- You are self motivated; and have a strong experience of pragmatically taking products from planning/ discovery phase to implementation phase.
- Demonstrated experience working as an engineer on computer-vision or NLP problems; producing high quality and well-defined products (4+ years of experience)
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle and CI/CD best practices
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to be able to liaise with various internal teams
- Someone who thrives on ownership and autonomy
- Experience introducing and driving best practices
- Strong ownership and self-drive to spot where we can improve